On April 17th, 2020, the Governmental Agreement no. 58-2020 was published on the Official Gazette of Central America, which includes the Regulation for granting the benefit of the fund for employment protection, which establishes the conditions and requirements to access the economic benefit that the State will grant to workers in the private sector, whose employment contracts have been suspended.
Conditions to apply for the benefit:
The following are established as requirements to apply for the benefit:
- To be a private sector employee.
- That the worker’s employment contract has been suspended and that said suspension is duly authorized by the Ministry of Labor and Social Security.
- That the employee works for a company that is not included in the cases of exception of closure, under the presidential provisions in force.
Procedure to apply for the subsidy:
The Governmental Agreement establishes the exact procedure that must be followed for the application of the economic benefit, which is summarized as follows:
- The employer must enter to the electronic platform located on the website www.mineco.gob.gt and complete the required data in the application form, attaching the authorization of the suspension issued by the Ministry of Labor.
- The Ministry of Economy will verify that the suspension has been approved by the Ministry of Labor and that the same is a consequence of the State of Calamity and Presidential Provisions.
- The Ministry of Economy will issue the authorization for the payment of the benefit and will send the authorization to the National Mortgage Credit (“Crédito Hipotecario Nacional”) to carry out the accreditation by means of bank deposit, transfer to the employee’s account or any other available means or instrument.
Term of the benefit:
The benefit will be available during the fiscal year 2020, from the allocation of funds by the Ministry of Public Finances, taking into consideration the availability of existing funds.
Contamos con un servicio 24/7 para atender sus consultas legales relacionadas a los efectos del COVID-19 en su empresa. Contáctenos a nuestro Help Desk para asistencia inmediata: [email protected]. Accese a nuestra Biblioteca Virtual para más información sobre los aspectos legales relacionados al Coronavirus en Centroamérica en este enlace.