The Directorate General of Immigration will not receive requests until December 1st, 2020:
1. NEW LEGAL PERMANENCE REQUESTS: No new requests for legal permanence, under any immigration category, will be received until December 1st, 2020, provided that a prior appointment has been requested as of October 19, 2020.
- VALIDITY OF CRIMINAL RECORD CERTIFICATES, MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES AND BIRTH CERTIFICATES: They will be deemed extended until June 1st, 2021.
2. REVOCATION AND/OR APPEAL RECOURSES: The filing of recourses will be enabled from March 1st, 2021. A prior appointment must be made for such filing from January 11, 2021.
3.FIRST-TIME APPOINTMENTS FOR THE FILING OF DOCUMENTATION AND RENEWAL OF DIMEX FOR FOREIGNERS -except Temporary Residence through a Costa Rican spouse-: No appointments will be given for customer service at the Directorate General of Immigration. Appointments already granted on the publication date of this resolution shall be rescheduled as of December 1st, 2020.
- Temporary Resident with Costa Rican spouse renewal appointments: Such renewal may be performed at Banco de Costa Rica or Correos de Costa Rica (Costa Rican post office) by submitting the corresponding requirements.
4.APPOINTMENTS FOR FILING DOCUMENTATION FOR THE FIRST TIME: Pursuant to article 55, clause b) of the Regulations on Alien Affairs (decree Nº 37112-GOB), the duly notified resolution by which this General Directorate authorized the immigration stay subcategory, shall be the document that attests to the individual’s legal permanence.
- The appointments for the filing of documentation that have already been granted, will be reprogrammed from December 1st, 2020.
5.DOCUMENTS ISSUED ABROAD: Documents issued abroad before March 17th, shall be extended until June 1st, 2021.
6.LEGAL STAY AUTHORIZED UNDER THE TOURISM SUBCATEGORY: For all purposes, the authorized legal stay period for foreigners under the immigration Tourism category that enter the country after December 17, 2019 and up to October 31, 2020, will be extended until March 2, 2021.
7. THE FILING OF PREVENTIONS: The filing of preventions will be extended until February 12, 2021. Appointments for the filing of preventions will be enabled as of October 19, 2020.
8.EXTENSION OF THE VALIDITY OF DOCUMENTS ATTESTING TO THE LEGAL STAY OF FOREIGNERS IN THE COUNTRY (KNOWN AS DIMEX): As an exception, and due to the national emergency, this will be extended in accordance with the following:
- The effectiveness of Permanent Stay DIMEX: Shall be deemed extended until January 11, 2021.
- The effectiveness of the DIMEX for Temporary Residence and Special immigration Categories, that have expired after December 18, 2019: They will be extended until January 11, 2021.
- The effectiveness of the DIMEX under the Non-Resident, immigration Stay Subcategory, that have expired after March 17, 2020: Will be extended until February 12, 2021. Foreigners whose Stay has expired on a date prior to March 17th and have not carried out the proceedings for renewal or change of immigration category, must exit the country.