Vivian is a Partner of the BLP office in San José, Costa Rica. She specializes in the practice areas of Business Law and Banking & Finance, the latter of which she is a co-director. In addition, she is the coordinator of the firm’s Sustainability strategy.
During her 20 years of experience, she has advised multinational companies in their day-to-day operations, as well as in mergers and acquisitions. Her Business Law practice also includes the guidance of startup operations in the region. In Banking & Finance, she excels with extensive knowledge in credit counseling and financing, representing multilateral financial institutions in investments and projects in Central America.
Clients highlight her professionalism, experience, and mastery of Banking & Finance law. Vivian has also been recognized as an extraordinary lawyer by prestigious publications such as The Legal 500, Chambers & Partners, Latin Lawyer, Who’s Who Legal and IFLR 1000. The trajectory of her outstanding career has resulted in her inclusion on Latin Lawyer’s list of “Inspiring Women in Law,” which celebrates the most inspiring profiles of lawyers in Latin America.
Vivian plays a major role in progressive institutions. She is a director of the BLP Foundation as well as a director of the firm’s Gender Equity Commission; member of the Board of Directors of “Asociación Amigos del Aprendizaje” (ADA) ; member of the Steering Committee of Women in the Professión, Vance Center, New York; Founder and member of the board of directors of the Costa Rican chapter of Women in the Profession; member of the Board of Directors of the Business Association for Development (AED); member of the Lawyer´s Council for Civil and Economic Rights, Vance Center, New York; Director of the Pro Bono Committee, Costa Rican Bar Association, 2011-2014; Founding member of the Costa Rican Harvard – MIT club; President and founding member of Inspiring Girls, Costa Rican chapter; Fellow of the XIV Class of the Central America Leadership Initiative, member of the Aspen Global Leadership Network, The Aspen Institute. She actively participates in national and international forums on gender equity and the role of women in the legal profession.
Vivian leads the firm’s sustainability strategy, which is executed by Sustainability by BLP, an initiative responsible for articulating efforts aimed at contributing to human and social development in the communities in which BLP operates. Some of these efforts have resulted in Blue Flag Ecological awards for 6 years and the Carbon Neutral Country Brand seal for the last 5 consecutive years, granted by the Costa Rican government. In 2015, these distinctions enabled BLP to become the first law firm in Central America to be doubly awarded for its environmental management.
Vivian worked as an international associate at the New York firm of Greenberg Traurig before becoming BLP’s first female partner in 2008.
- Banking & Finance
- Business Law
- Recognized in Banking & Finance by Chambers & Partners
- Registered as a Leading Lawyer by The Legal 500
- Ranked as Highly Regarded by IFLR 1000
- M. Harvard University, United States, 2001.
- Fellow of the XIV class of the Leadership Initiative of Central America, Aspen Global Leadership Network, The Aspen Institute.
- Law degree summa cum laude, University of Costa Rica, 1999
- New York State Bar Association: Member of the International Section
- Women in the Profession (WIP): Member of the Steering Committee,Vance Center
- Women in the Profession (WIP): Costa Rica Chapter Coordinator,
- National Social Responsibility Council: Member of the Board of Directors
- Association for Development (AED): Comptroller of the Board of Directors
- Friends of Learning Association: Member of the Board of Directors
- Lawyers Council for Civil and Economic Rights in the Americas, Vance Center, New York: Member
- Costa Rica Bar Association: Director of the ProBono Committee (2011-2014)
- Costa Rica Bar Association: Member of the ProBono Commission