María Inés Arenales
María Inés is a founding Partner of BLP in Guatemala. She specializes in the practice areas of Banking & Finance, Business Law, Insurance & Reinsurance, and Tax.
During her more than 12 years as a lawyer, she has advised both national and multination financial companies on the financing of important projects in the public and private sectors of Guatemala, involving large numbers of creditors, debtors and guarantors in a multiplicity of jurisdictions.
She has participated in mergers and acquisitions of recognized importance in the region, both within regulated and unregulated industries, successfully leading legal teams in the coordination of due diligence. Likewise, she has played a key role in the structuring of various companies and in the successful registration for the public offering of shares to be traded on the National Securities Exchange and in the OTC market.
María Inés maintains a noteworthy practice in the design of fiscal and corporate structures, corporate governance, minority rights, shareholder agreements, and the organization of Guatemalan and foreign companies as of offshore entities. She has extensive knowledge in all regulatory aspects of the regional insurance and reinsurance market, including recent regulations on authorizations, and the registration of new insurers, intermediaries, and service providers.
She has been recognized by prestigious publications in the legal field such as Chambers and Partners, and The Legal 500 and is valued by clients as a lawyer with a business vision that combines technical knowledge with a perfect balance between flexibility and firmness. María Inés worked first as a Legal Assistant and then as an Associate at Arenales & Skinner-Klee – LatamLex from 2001 until 2016 when she left to become Partner at BLP.
- Banking & Finance
- Insurance & Reinsurance
- Business Law
- Recognized in the practice areas of Banking & Finance and Corporate/M&A by Chambers and Partners.
- Recognized as Leading Individual in Banking & Finance, Corporate and M&A by The Legal 500.
- Legal Banking and Finance Program, INIDEM Business Law School, Panama, 2015.
- Bachelor of Legal and Social Sciences, Lawyer and Notary, Universidad Francisco Marroquín, Guatemala, 2009.
- Foreign Trade Program, INCAE Business School, Costa Rica, 2011.
- Master’s degree in Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Chile, 2013.
- International Bar Association (IBA): Member.
- Guatemalan Bar Association (CANG): Member.