Juan Carlos Tristán
Juan Carlos is a BLP Partner in the San José office. His practice areas include Business Law, Real Estate & Hospitality, Regulatory Compliance, Prevention & Risk Management and Ethics & Anticorruption.
In Business Law, Juan Carlos advises local and transnational companies on day-to-day issues, as well as in mergers and acquisitions, and corporate restructuring. In Real Estate & Hospitality, he has been involved in the development, structuring, financing, acquisition, and sale of the most important real estate and hospitality projects in the coastal and urban areas of Costa Rica.
His extensive experience in Compliance & Anti-corruption includes conducting internal investigations, trainings and drafting and implementation of ethics and anti-corruption programs in Central America and Mexico, according to international standards, domestic laws and the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
He currently holds the position of President of the Anticorruption Commission of the Costa Rican Chapter of the International Chamber of Commerce. In addition, he is member of the Ibero-American Group of Compliance Lawyers, founding member and board member of the Costa Rica Chapter of the World Compliance Association, and is the country representative of the Anti-Corruption Commission of the International Bar Association (IBA). He has published articles on compliance and anticorruption issues, and has participated as a speaker in national and international forums.
In addition to being part of the BLP team for over 17 years, Juan Carlos worked as Foreign Associate at Greenberg Traurig in Miami.
- Compliance & Anticorruption
- Business Law
- Real Estate & Hospitality
- Regulatory Compliance, Prevention & Risk Management
- Master (LLM) in American Law and International Business, Boston University Scholar, Boston University, 2012.
- Specialization in Notary and Registry Law, Universidad Latina, Costa Rica, 2014.
- Law degree (JD equivalent), Universidad de Costa Rica, Costa Rica, 2010.
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC): President of the Anticorruption Commission, Costa Rican Chapter
- IberoAmerican Group of Compliance Lawyers: Member
- International Bar Association (IBA): Country Representative, Anticorruption Commission
- World Compliance Association: Founding member and Board member – Costa Rican Chapter